Is this a scam? looks like fake ebay site

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Is this a scam? looks like fake ebay site

Postby aawright » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi,

So I replyed to a ad on CL for a motorcycle for sale.
Here is the ad:

Honda CBR600RR
Mileage: 3232
Engine Size (cc): 600
Clear Title

Bike has been garage kept.and i am original owner. Great condition,
No Accidents, never droppped. Has brand new dunlop sportmax!!!

e-mail at: richardmiller42@gmail.com

So, I emailed the guy and this is the reply I got.

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my bike,2003 Honda CBR 600RR. The bike is in perfect condition - like new! with only 3232 miles. If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers (clean title), owner manuals, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title. For this transaction I want to use eBay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the bike. ONLY AFTER you receive the bike and you inspect it (you have 5 days for inspection) eBay will release the payment to me or in case you dislike it for any reason ebay will pick up the bike and refund you with the full amount, but I know you'll like it for sure. The inspection time period will begin as soon as you receive the bike at your address. Meanwhile eBay will hold the money into a trust account. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the bike before you decide to buy it. This way we are both protected : i will know that i have a serious buyer who has the money to pay me and you will be able to see and inspect the bike before buying it .The bike priced to sell quickly and the final price that I'm asking for it is $2,800 including shipping and handling costs. My wife died 2 months ago and I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and move to my parents. I can't afford to take days off my work for this sale so I'm trying to sell it online.
If you are really interested in purchasing the bike please use the "Buy it Now" option on ebay; and Ebay will give you all the details regarding the shipping and payment.

P.S: This is the web link to my add. If you decide to buy it please click on Buy It Now and ebay will inform how to buy it. thank you

htp//cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-honda-cbr600rr-4weebbbuhhfccffccccfx4-v_W0QQitemZ130361923312QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1e5a2d16f0kii=-ecf

When you click Buy it now you get directed here:

Checkout
Confirm Your PurchaseChoose Payment MethodConfirm Your Payment
Important: The Seller requires immediate payment for this item through eBay's payment system. Once we receive the email from you that will include the payment details we will instruct the seller to start the shipping process.
To view the payment instructions please complete the form bellow and click the Continue > button at the bottom of the page.

Buyer Information
User ID: Craigslist Buyer
Email:
Full name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Phone Number:
Order details
2003 Honda CBR 600RR Shipping & handling Quantity Total

Item number:
2003 Honda CBR 600RR

Included in the sale price.
Free shipping through Dependable DAS Auto Shippers

- US $2,800.00
Seller:
daniel.burton94 ( 282) 100% Positive feedback

Sales tax:
US $0.00
Insurance:
Included
Total:
US $2,800.00

I checked the sellers email in google and found he was selling this bike in about 10 different cities.
Looks like a total scam to me! Beware!
aawright
NewBorn

Re: Is this a scam? looks like fake ebay site

Postby aawright » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:22 pm

aawright
NewBorn

Re: Is this a scam? looks like fake ebay site

Postby lightfair » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Yes, it is definitely fake. Not particularly well done but it might fool some people.

As you correctly spotted the whole site with the "buy it now" stuff and so on isn't actually on ebay but on bigstoy.com and just looks like ebay.

The site itself is hosted by web4africa.com in Ghana. This could possibly hint to our Nigerian "friends"; but actually the scammer could be from anywhere in the world.
lightfair
Master

Return to Escrow Fraud