Lieteur

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Re: Lieteur

Postby camjoe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:13 am

Hey- thanks again- I had no idea that a lot of these people are Romanian- interesting. UPS had emailed me verification that a man had signed for the package as Adrien Bertin. The address was Rue des trois Bornes No.9 Paris, 75011 France and his phone number was 0033.698.097.268.
I looked at the link featuring the scam websites, and the layout was pretty much the same as lieteur's was. I really should have listened to my instincts on this one (and not my husband), when "Adrien" wrote about the "Rolex watch" in one of the email correspondences. When I questioned him about it- he just apologized and stated he was tired after long work day- yeah right, ripping people off. I feel so bad knowing that he was in the process of scamming someone else- there is another individual who posted on here about a Rolex watch. Oh dear. I guess I should report it to police... Thanks again
Camille
camjoe
NewBorn

Postby Jeanette Wagoner » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:26 am

How do we know that he is not one of the responders on this site.
Jeanette Wagoner
NewBorn

Postby dgeze » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Following up ...my guy's ebay acronym is fused 58 and his name Pierre Granier and also phoned me to follow-up on receiving his Panerai watch.
He had 126 successful transactions on ebay and no issues...plus the Lieteur site had the logos for Paypal; ebay; Fedex; and UPS!
I contacted ebay and they acknowledged the logo on the site was indeed theirs, but said that Lieteur was not a affiliated escrow company.

They should bear responsiblity for vetting all of our buyers with their system of self recommendations. Plus the have to have some ability to police use of their logo and affiliation for online escrow and payment sites.

It's easy to sit back and say --"sorry, we bear no responsibility"... the site is filled with more scammers than any other internet site in the world!

The credability of ebay should be damaged if we all properly document and complain such that they have to change their policies and security.

David G
dgeze
NewBorn

Postby lightfair » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:11 am

dgeze wrote:Following up ...my guy's ebay acronym is fused 58 and his name Pierre Granier and also phoned me to follow-up on receiving his Panerai watch.
He had 126 successful transactions on ebay and no issues...plus the Lieteur site had the logos for Paypal; ebay; Fedex; and UPS!
I contacted ebay and they acknowledged the logo on the site was indeed theirs, but said that Lieteur was not a affiliated escrow company.

Once again: This is very likely a completely legit user whose account had been hacked/hijacked. Of course the scammers try to hijack accounts that "look good" and not accounts that have something like a 75% rating.
As far as the logos go: So what? Those are graphics, nothing more. Anyone can copy a pic from a legit website and put it on his website; there is no mechanism in place to prevent such things. Nearly all of the fake sites display one or more "fake" logos that belong to existing companies or services.

They should bear responsiblity for vetting all of our buyers with their system of self recommendations. Plus the have to have some ability to police use of their logo and affiliation for online escrow and payment sites.

In the defense of ebay: The latter is nearly impossible. The point is that those fake sites only CLAIM this affiliation. So maybe the ebay legal department sends out a notice to the web hoster. The web hoster may sit in China or Russia or whereever. Take a quick guess what is likely (admittedly: not always!) going to happen then.
You have to keep in mind that those fake sites usually don't last very long anyway. Most of them get shut down within about two weeks after registration (and many of them within hours after we find them).

It's easy to sit back and say --"sorry, we bear no responsibility"... the site is filled with more scammers than any other internet site in the world!

Indeed; ebay should definitely do more; however it's very difficult to say what they should have done (proactively) in such a case.

The credability of ebay should be damaged if we all properly document and complain such that they have to change their policies and security.

So which policies and security should ebay change how to prevent something like this to happen?
lightfair
Master

Postby lightfair » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 am

Jeanette Wagoner wrote:How do we know that he is not one of the responders on this site.

You can never know this. But you can try to use some common sense and ask yourself if the answers and informations you have gotten here make sense to you.
lightfair
Master

Previous

Return to Escrow Fraud