Someone trying to scam me - Turn tables?

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Someone trying to scam me - Turn tables?

Postby timboescrow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi all, someone is trying to get me to send my valuable item to them and has given me the details of an "escrow" site they want me to use.

Luckily I decided to do a quick Google on "escrow scam" and happened across a very helpful page:
http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Avoid-Es ... 0003992204

A quick whois later & I know their game.

So now what to do? I have some details about them from the whois search. Has anyone successfully turned tables on a scammer in this situation? Suggestions please! 8)
timboescrow
NewBorn

Re: Someone trying to scam me - Turn tables?

Postby lightfair » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:18 pm

First of all, congratulations for spotting the scam.

WHOIS data for such sites is usually completely fake. In 99% of the cases the person or address or phone# don't even exist.

What we CAN do is

a) document the fake site (by making a screenshot and adding it to our database)
b) trying to get the hoster to suspend the fake site

Most things beyond that can only be done by law enforcement. You can file a police report, of course. Fraud attempts are a crime in most countries.

And of course: Please post the details here. We need the web address of the fake site.
lightfair
Master

Postby timboescrow » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks lightfair, I did not post the details initially as I suspect any career escrow-scammer would keep an eye on things here.

I agree that the WHOIS data is certainly fake, but at some point he must attempt to collect the item he wants me to send. I'm considering getting a FedEx outfit, flying over there myself with an unsavoury partner or 2, a pair of pliers & a blow-torch and getting medieval on his ass...

I'll PM you the WHOIS info just in case someone has a developed counter-attack plan to suggest.
timboescrow
NewBorn

Postby JaxHot » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:32 pm

That doesn't help to get the site killed.
Whats the URL of the fake escrow and the scammer's email?
JaxHot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Escrow Fraud