NYC apt leasing fraud?

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

NYC apt leasing fraud?

Postby odie03 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:24 pm

I registered on this site, I'm new, because I want to see if anyone knows about this problem.My daughter and friends found an apartment in Manhatten, owned by a woman in Sweden. The apartment is new, $1100 per month, Pictures were sent, but none of the girls has seen the apt. They found out about it on craigslist.

The woman is asking them for $2200, to be sent by moneygram to a Prudential escrow account, and gave them an agent's name. In checking this out, they found that Prudential has no record of this agent.

The more we find out, the more suspicious we are. Are we just paranoid, or is this screaming 'Scam"?
odie03
NewBorn

Postby peg » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 pm

MoneyGram and Western Union (one in the same) SHOULD NOT BE USED to transfer funds to people you DON'T KNOW!!!

To be clear

MoneyGram and Western Union SHOULD NOT BE USED to transfer funds to people you DON'T KNOW!!!

Even Western Union will tell you that on their site (FAQS) ( http://www.westernunion.com/info/faqSec ... sp#tstfaq5 )

If it sounds like a scam.... It probably is.
If you don't see the person and or the apartment IN PERSON, then Definitely avoid them, but it sounds fishy to me.
- peg -

-- eschew obfuscation!! --
If we were able to help you please consider making a donation to support this site.
Donation button at the top of page.
peg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Escrow Fraud