Craigslist RV Scam

If you have been defrauded, or suspect some fraud, that is NOT escrow related, then please air your comments here. The more that's here, the more people can be informed.

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Craigslist RV Scam

Postby trbomp5 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:08 pm

here is copy of my emails with a guy who was supposedly selling an RV on Craigslist

Like I didnt know it was fake, he's trying to sell an RV in Indiana that he's storing in Arkansas, but he's not in Indiana either.
The pictures are at a dealership, and supposedly current, but there is snow on the ground.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: XXXX@XXXXXX.com
Subject: RE: 2008 Keystone Summerland - $2990 (IN)
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 18:00:36 -0700

Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my Keystone Springdale camper for sale. According with my divorce settlement, I own this camper and as single I don`t need it so I’m trying to get rid of it as soon as possible (that`s why I’m selling it so cheap and I have some financial problems and like you know in these times many peoples confront the financial crisis). This camper is in excellent working conditions, 2008 year, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, no mechanical or cosmetic issues. Bellow you can find the options and features of the trailer together with more pictures:

The camper`s water capacity is 41-50 gallons, sleeping capacity 6 persons, length is 18ft, 1 awning , included leveling jacks, air conditioner, empty weight of trailer is 3949 pounds. Tires are ST205/75R14C and like new. Earth-tone interior is also in excellent condition with no burns, stains or tears. This camper has no water damage, has never smoked in and is in perfect mechanical condition with everything working as it should including the appliances, heat, air-conditioning.

Here is a link where you can find some pictures with this gorgeous rv : http://keystonecamper.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

My asking last price is $7500. The camper was left at a shipping company in Pine Bluff, AR and it will be shipped from there if necessary for inspection and test, before we close the deal. I really need to sell it ASAP as I am being deployed to Iraq.

Get back to me if you are interested in purchasing and we have a deal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 4:28 AM
To: lukas_kingsdale@msn.com

It is very nice! what would I need to do next?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 17:14:06 +0300

Hi again,

Right now I'm in a military base, we are getting ready for Iraq. I cannot leave the base for now. The RV is already at the escrow company warehouse in Pine Bluff, AR, ready to be shipped. The RV will be shipped free of charge (assured by the army) along with all documents, clean and clear title(on my name only) with my signature on it, owner's manual and keys. Because I can't be there for you, I decided to use an escrow service, that I have worked with in the past. The payment method I have chosen (at the support escrow company advise) is bank wire transfer.

Here is how it will work:

1) I will start a new transaction in which will be stipulated that the shipping is assured by me, that you have 5 days for inspection, after receiving the RV.

2) You will receive a notification by email that we have started a transaction. Then you will have to register on their web site using your e-mail and ID transaction given to you in your notification email.

3) Read the terms of the transaction and if you agree with them you accept the agreement and you will receive instructions with payment details. After the payment is made you must log in your account and submit the payment.

4. The shipping will start. After you receive the RV you will have 5 days to test and verify it. If you decide keep it, I will receive the payment from the escrow company. Otherwise, the RV will be shipped back, free of charge on your side and you will be fully refunded. If you wish to start the transaction, please reply, so we can proceed.

I'll wait your response.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 5:51 PM

This all seems easy enough. What is the website i need to register with?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 18:10:56 +0300

I will start the transaction. This is their web site: http://www.vtr-service.com

------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 7:26 PM

I just talked to my dad who lives in Nashville, and travels all over the country with my step moms band, and he said he could be in Little Rock within the week. He would be more than happy to go and look at the camper for me and pay them for it.

What is the address there where he can go and see it?

Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 19:32:56 +0300

Sorry, but I can’t wait that much with the RV on hold. I will cancel the transaction so it will be available to other potential buyers and if it won’t be sold by then we can make the arrangements.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 9:56 PM

I can paypal you a deposit right now.

Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 22:09:28 +0300

I wouldn’t want to pay directly to me. You can pay directly to the escrow company. They have a bank account, it’s traceable, they see where the money are coming from, you see where they’re going, you will get a receipt from the bank in which states that you have send them the money. In this way they can guaranty in order for me to send the RV. I don’t see how this can be any easier. It’s hard for me to leave the base in training and meet with someone for all the paperwork, specially when I already have a signed contract with the escrow company.

----------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2010 10:13 PM

I dont see why i cant have my dad just come and pay for it. That seems the easiest. No extra fees, no 3rd party anything. You dont have to leave the base for anything.

If you really wanted this to be a safe and easy transaction for you since you cant leave, why not use ebay and paypal? they are the widest known and trusted by everyone.

Why would you use craigslist that is only known for scams? like this one

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1782http://

You notice how your emails are exact copies of the ones on this site? Wierd isnt it?

I've known this was a scam from my first email, but contacted the right people who informed me to keep contacting you making it easier to trace you with your IP address.

A couple of suggestions,
1. At least be creative enough to change your emails up
2. Dont send me pictures that are dated currently, but taken at a dealer with snow on the ground
3. Brush up on the english.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: (removed)
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 23:08:03 +0300

Now I have a question…when they asked you to keep going, hoping that I will make a mistake by losing my protection, they’ve told you to protect your terminal? If they can trace a terminal wouldn’t it be logical that the other part of the line can do the same? Thief identity can harm you big time if you annoy someone. It wouldn’t be my case cause…I’m peaceful… I’m in a balcanic country where your country doesn’t have any kind of power (I’ll let you geuss). When you try to play this way…..BE PROTECTED…there are a lot of bad guys out there….

P.S. thank you for your suggestions…even ironical as they seem to be. Keep it safe ;)
Last edited by lightfair on Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal email address
trbomp5
NewBorn

Re: Craigslist RV Scam

Postby lightfair » Mon May 31, 2010 9:36 pm

I've added http://www.vtr-service.com/ to our database and sent a report; I expect the site to go down within one or two days.

Isn't it nice how the scammer is concerned about your safety? Don't worry though; they're not really interested in people exposing them. Still, I've removed your email address from the posting (you had removed most of them but one was still present.
lightfair
Master

Postby trbomp5 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for getting the one I missed.

And ya, he was very non-chalant about. Very polite even! He knows there is nothing anybody can do about it.

I'm most mad that I didnt get the RV, that would have been a great deal!
trbomp5
NewBorn

Postby craigguard » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi i have been a victim of a lot of frauds and scams on craigslist so i decided to create a website which will post the good and the bad reviews encountered during a transaction on craigslist list, below are the details, please help promote internet safety:check out http://www.craigguard.com
http://www.Craigguard.com
What is craigguard????
CraigGuard.com is a place for you to report your experiences from Craigslist.org. Similar to eBay's rating system, CraigGuard enables you to search a buyer or seller before you start a transaction with them. It also allows you to promote Internet safety by creating descriptive reports about buyers or sellers you have encountered on Craigslist.org.
CraigGuard can be your place to shine as a reliable seller or it could be a powerful tool in outing those who don't play nicely online; bad check writers, scammers, and even dangerous criminals.
We thank you for using CraigGuard and we hope you tell a friend. As a CraigGuard user, you are helping spread Internet safety awareness and possibly even saving lives, one report at a time.
New Features:
Improved Look and Usability
Required Registration Which Provides More Authentic Reports
100% Free to Use
Click here to start your report. Use the search box above to begin your search.
Why CraigGuard?
Because Craigslist.org doesn't have a user rating system like Ebay.com, Craigguard gives users piece of mind when considering a transaction on Craigslist.org.
Craigslist.org is one of top places online to fall victim of a scam. Craigguard is just one more safety measure you can take to protect yourself.
Craigguard is monitored daily by a small group of people for spam and other unwanted junk.
Why not do a good deed and fill out a useful report today about a transaction you have been involved in on Craigslist.org. It could save someone a lot of grief or give a good buyer or seller the credit they deserve!
How to use CraigGuard
In this scenario, we will go over how Craigguard could help someone buy an item or service from Craigslist.org:
Browse Craigslist.org for an item or service.
Find an item or service that interests you and then contact the seller.
Gather the seller's name, location, or items or services they commonly sell.
Take that information and use the Craigguard search engine to find positive or negative reports about the seller from past buyers. (i.e. a buyer could be known for selling defective products or by always giving good deals)
In this scenario, we will go over how Craigguard could help someone sell an item or service on Craigslist.org:
Gather the buyer's name, location, or items or services they commonly buy.
Take that information and use the Craigguard search engine to find positive or negative reports about the seller from past sellers. (i.e. a seller could be known for writing bad checks or by always providing a prompt and valid payment)
In this scenario, we will go over how Craigguard could help someone who has already bought or sold and item or service on Craigslist.org:
Gather the seller or buyer's name, location, or any other specific information.
Go to the Craigguard report form. Select either Buyer Reports or Seller Reports, click New Thread and complete the form with truthful and descriptive information; be it positive or negative.
By taking just a few minutes to create a report, you can help make Craigslist.org a safer place on the net!
Promote Internet Safety
Copy and paste the code in blue to embed the CraigGuard logo onto your website or next CraigsList posting. Show everyone that you promote internet safety and that you are a honorable buyer or seller.

craigguard in Media:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/04/22/ ... gguardcom/
[url]
http://www.boston.com/business/technolo ... er/?page=2[/url]

http://www.fox2now.com/ktvi-craigguard- ... 0812.story
craigguard
NewBorn

Postby meemoo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:31 am

I think this guy is still busy on Utube as well as craigslist (El Paso )

See: Alfa See Ya GOLD 40ft MotorHome 2005 - $5300 (Jonathan.T.Wamsley@gmail.com) on Utube

I haven't replied, but the scenerio is similar to your story-dude's in the military, the RV's somewhere he isn't-Oregon in this case (the craigslist ad) and of course the RV's worth much, much more than $5300. And he says the military will deliver it which is a dead giveaway. Even active duty officers don't get free long distance delivery of boats or recreation vehicles to a new duty station, much less in a sale situation-at least they didn't during the 20 years my husband served.

Just thought you'd like to know.
meemoo
NewBorn

Return to Other internet Frauds and Scams