Update on my "used car scam"...

If you have been defrauded, or suspect some fraud, that is NOT escrow related, then please air your comments here. The more that's here, the more people can be informed.

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Update on my "used car scam"...

Postby TC » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:20 pm

A few weeks I posted some questions I had about a few cars which caught my eyes on "autoscout"

2 were definitely scams, but the 3rd seemed relatively ok.... So I decided to give this guy (and his car) a chance :

The guy works at a trading company specilizing in importing goods (and used cars) from the west to Eastern Europe and Russia.

1. I checked the company name on google - had many references - mostly in Russian, but also in German.

2. Checked their address and traced it back to the same company.

3. Checked images and info on the street where they are and found a few other companies of the same nature (it's near the north-German port).

4. Checked the guy's name with the employees list - and found him there.

5. Spoke to the guy on the phone several times. He actually told me about 2 things missing in the car, to be sure if I was still interested.

6. We set a date and my partner and I actually drove the 550 km to meet this guy and check the car. We found him exactly where he said we would. The company is housed in a building - I asked the receptionist when I came in - and she knew who he was.

7. I checked under the hood and test-drove the car. All was great. He gave me copies of all the car papers (German papers and import papers).

8. On the import papers I found the VIN and got a full CarFax report - clean title.

9. We agreed on a final price and he said they had an empty truck going south-west, so he could send the car 500 km closer to me (the import company I found is a rip-off - like everything else in Holland).

So far - I have to admit things don't look too "scammy", I feel like I'm being ripped-off by the government (45% "luxury" tax for a car under 10,000 Euros) but that's all.

Now I wonder what's the best thing to do for payment - I'm not sure I want to carry this much cash on me, a bank-transfer I can not get back if something goes wrong, and generally I'm not sure of what the best way is...

Please advise ????
TC
Adolescent

Payment

Postby JaxHot » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:11 pm

I suggest a bank certified check in the owner's name.
Talk to your bank and police for the best method.
JaxHot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby georg » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:04 pm

Problems with mobile.de or autoscout24.de ?

If you have problems or questions on this 2 websites, please write me..perhaps i can help.
the same on mystery german adresses or phone-numbers

greetings
Georg
georg

Postby TC » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:16 pm

Thanks George - but earlier this month I already visited the guy - he exists, the company he works for exists - the receptionist in the building knew him by name, the car exists (I frove it - divine!), the picture of the car from the add is next to that same building, the car has a clean title and full history check.

The guy never offered to ship the car - he invited me over to drive it - he is not too excited to sell it because he's getting an "Opel" from the company next and it not too happy about it (hahahaha).

He never mentioned Western Union - I'p pay him by bank-transfer.

So this seems ok so far.

Dutch government wants it's share of the pie - but we're used to it here.....
TC
Adolescent

my update on "used car scam"

Postby Eric Brewster » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:52 pm

You know TC what are you whining about in your used car deal? The guy in the farther part of Germany has needs and certainly wants your money; the car is legit and while the Dutch Government wants a slice of the pie, it is helping you by checking on the car and making sure the seller is honest, nobody is ripping you off and what if it costs abit? In Canada we have to deal with the used car seller whom sells "AS IS"!

Now that is the "legalized fraud".......the seller thinks, "Hummmm how can I get the maximum amount of money out of the buyer I can? Well tell him or her that the auto is in prestine condition and is not too old......I have to ahhh BUY LOW SELL HIGH." Here everyone wants a cut, the Federal Gov., for fixing our roads and providing us with licenses and registration, the Provincial Govs for taking us to hospitals when we wind up in auto crashes, the auto insurance companies that charge us outragious insurance saying to us, "Ahhhhh we made mistakes in the stock market last year and now you nice people will have to pay the fees to help our companies get back on our feet because some poor old grandmother is suing us."

It seems to me that everyone gets his or her cut on the deal and the buyer is having to pay what costs they have to inorder to get what it is they wish to buy, but that is life and the business of doing business.
Eric Brian Brewster
Eric Brewster
Adolescent

Return to Other internet Frauds and Scams