Gumtree fraud

If you have been defrauded, or suspect some fraud, that is NOT escrow related, then please air your comments here. The more that's here, the more people can be informed.

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Gumtree fraud

Postby eddd-there » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:48 am

Hi people, I have been the victim of a fraud.
What should I do? I feel horrible.

It all started with this purchase: http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-video-camera-digital-camera-Panasonic-DVX-100A-IN-GREAT-CONDITION-11-HOURS-OF-TAPE-USE-W0QQAdIdZ108762942 (Link is down)

Gum tree works like Craig's list. Anyway I got an email from the 'seller'
This is it below:

from Jack Benny <jackbenny09@gmail.com>
to
date Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 1:19 AM
subject Re: Reply to your "Panasonic DVX-100A IN GREAT CONDITION 11 HOURS OF TAPE USE" Ad on Gumtree
mailed-by gmail.com
hide details Mar 5 (12 days ago)

Hi,

The camera is in exceptional cosmetic and working condition,it has has approximately 30 hours of use, no scratches.It was purchased 2 months ago and is under Panasonic Warranty.My selling price is AUD $1300 which includes the shipping taxes and the insurance.The camera is in Melbourne (at MoneyBookers official location) because i am with work in London,UK for the next approximately 3 months and i am using MoneyBookers services so I can have the camera sold without difficulty.If you are interested the deal will go strictly according to MoneyBookers rules and policy.To start the official transaction, I need to know your full name and shipping details. As soon as I have this information, I will forward your details to MoneyBookers and they will notify you with all you need to know about our transaction. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from MoneyBookers regarding our transaction. You will have 10 days return policy, so you will have the chance to inspect the camera and decide either you keep it or not. If you decide to keep it, they have the power of attorney so they will transfer warranty into your name and release me the funds, if not, they will be responsible for the return shipping and you will have a complete refund within 3 days.I will wait for your reply.

Kind regards.
Jack Benny

Jack Benny <jackbenny09@gmail.com>
date Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:19 AM
subject Re: Reply to your "Panasonic DVX-100A IN GREAT CONDITION 11 HOURS OF TAPE USE" Ad on Gumtree
mailed-by gmail.com
Hi Edward,

I have forwarded your info to MoneyBookers and they should get in touch with you soon with all the details regarding the transaction.Please let me know when you hear from them.

Kind regards.
Jack Benny

Then I got an email from Money Bookers, now I knew this form of transaction seemed a little odd but the
price for that camera was very reasonable and I needed it for a job.

The following item(s) are clear for
MoneyBookers's item insurance policy:

March-09-09 108762942 Email this person Panasonic DVX-100A IN GREAT CONDITION 11 HOURS OF TAPE USE
AUD $1,300.00

Transaction Details:

Buyer:
Subject:
Panasonic DVX-100A IN GREAT CONDITION 11 HOURS OF TAPE USE
Amount: AUD $1,300.00
Down Payment: AUD $ 0.00

Shipping: AUD $ 0.00
Total: AUD $1,300.00

Delivery Information:
Address: Melbourne, Australia

Seller Details:
First Name:
Jack
Last Name:
Benny
Street:
96 Mount Street
City:
London
Zip code:
W1Y 5HG
United Kingdom

MoneyBookers Agent Details:
You have to send the payment to:
First Name: Christian
Last Name: Brown
Street:
180 Brockley Road
City:
London
Zip code:
SE4 2RR
United Kingdom

How to make payment?
1. Locate the nearest Money Gram Office
2. Make the payment with cash using the above MoneyBookers agent details
3. When the payment is made, email us the following information:
-8 digit Money Transfer Reference Number
-Exact sender's name on file with Money Gram
-Your street address on file with Money Gram
-City and country where you sent the money from
-Amount sent
cash document escrows picture

As soon as the the payment is confirmed, we will start the shipping process. We will held the payment until you confirm that you are satisfied with the product you received. As soon as we receive your confirmation we will transfer the payment to the seller.
Returns are permitted and must be initiated by the customer within 3 calendar days!

Sincerly,
MoneyBookers Financial Department

This scam has definitely been ran before:
http://forum.escrow-fraud.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=817

What should I do? Is there anyway to track the culprits down and get my money back?
eddd-there
NewBorn

Re: Gumtree fraud

Postby JaxHot » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:58 am

You neglected to put the email address of MoneyBookers Financial Department
JaxHot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Other internet Frauds and Scams