A great place to check for the newest fake escrows

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

A great place to check for the newest fake escrows

Postby silver » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:00 am

First off, I'm glad to see the forum up and running again. :D
I just wanted to drop by and share some more information on the fake escrows.

This site has a HUGE list of the currently known fake escrows and it is updated almost daily. The site deals with carbuying and other consumer related things, but this particular page has plenty of information about fake escrow scams AND it has pictures of the most commonly used fake escrow webpages.
Many of them use the same style pages over and over, but just register new domain names when one or two of their current ones are shut down.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/fraud.htm

The newest ones are added to the bottom of the list as they are reported.
Not all the fakes are on the list.
They only make it there when people report them and they're verified to be a fake site.

Just a little bit of trivia that I came upon about a week or so ago.
There have been nearly 900 fake escrow sites in the last few years.
That's how serious this problem is. 900 of them!

There are ways you can help to fight these scammers.
Most will ask that you send money to their "escrow officer" or "agent" and will give you a name.
If they ask you to wire money via Western Union, Moneygram, E-gold or other similar cash wire transfer service, call their toll free number
and ask them to put your scammers name on their scammer blacklist.
This will stop them from getting money under that name if anyone tries to send them money.
Because people are reporting these names, many potential victims have reported that they were alerted and stopped from sending money.

I don't know if they all have a toll free number, but an internet search by company name should show if they do.
For example, I searched Google.com for "Western Union 1- 800" and goggle brought up a link that took me right to the page with their toll free #.

Stay safe and pass the word about fake escrows.
Get your local newpapers to research them a bit and to write articles about them. Education is our best defense.
silver
Infant

Postby peg » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:17 pm

Silver (and others)

Thanks for the information. I have been to that site before as well. It does have a lot of information to help consumers. Ultimately that is what it boils down to. The Consumers NEED to educate themselves. If things don't seem right, then be suspicious.

SInce I do this site in my spare time AND i also have an e-commerece site I am trying to get set up (all while having a full time job), it's difficult to update the site daily. THat's why I coun't on people like Silver (and others) to help post information as you find the fraudulent sites.

Thanks again, and I appreciate all your efforts.

Paul :D
peg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Escrow Fraud