Possible fraud on iPad 2 models

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Possible fraud on iPad 2 models

Postby sohopunk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Dear users,

I'm from Holland so I hope I'm doing this right. I found an advertention on a second party site stating the selling of iPad 2 models for very cheap. After some contact trough mail the buyer told me he worked with the following paying method:
"
The payment must be made to UPS not to me as soon as the shipping is started .
I will ship with insurance and delivery confirmation signature so both of us will be protected
YOU : Because UPS will keep the money to them ESCROW Bank Account until you receive , test , inspect and sign the delivery confirmation .
ME : Because UPS will not start the shipping until they receive the payment confirmation from you ."

Since I didn't fully trust this payment method I started searching the internet and found this website. The URL he was using to post the advertention on doesn't exist any more: http://www.marktplaats.nl/404.html
What I do have is the emailadress of the seller, I have had several mail contact with him.
I would like to know if this is a valid offer or not, I hope someone can help me with this.
If my question doesn't belong here then I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Sohopunk.
sohopunk
NewBorn

Re: Possible fraud on iPad 2 models

Postby lightfair » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:06 am

As far as I know UPS doesn't offer escrow services. What you will probably get is an email allegedly coming from UPS (but in reality from someone else) in which you will be ordered to pay the money to some "UPS representative"; possibly by Western Union or MoneyGram.

From your description it sure sounds like a scam to me. "iPad 2, very cheap" and "URL of the advert is no longer there" are two proverbial "red flags". You can try to communicate with that "seller" further to see what comes out of this; but use extreme caution and don't send any money.
lightfair
Master

Return to Escrow Fraud