Probable fraud

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Probable fraud

Postby nekku » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Hello, I´m looking for a rental apartment and I saw an ad that seemed too good to be true. I asked for information and the answer made me even more suspicious:
Hello, First of all I want to thank you for your reply. I really appreciate you took the time to answer me. I am the owner of the property. It is still available for rent for 500 euro/month including all the utilities utilities. The property is in the best conditions, it is newly furnished and equipped with all the dependencies. I bought the property in 2007 and I lived there with my pet until last month when I received a contract and needed to move to London/England. In the property you will find a dishwasher, a refrigerator, a freezer, a washing machine, a dryer, an iron, , an oven, a toaster, a coffee maker, vacuum cleaner, a big screen TV, cable TV with the basic access, ADSL internet and Wi-Fi access. Also the property is near the public transportation, a shopping mall, a gym, and other facilities. There are no problems if you have any pets, as long as you clean up after them. The property has a parking space for one car. I have spent a great amount of money refurnishing the property and my request is that you treat it like it was your own. I am not interested to make a lot of money from the rent as I am interested to find a tenant that will take good care of the property until my return (the minimum lease period is 3 months maximum 4 years). Because I had to move to England so soon I didn't had the time to find a trustworthy agent, I had to take the property keys with me. I had a real bad experience with the renting agents from the area with my previous home. I can't come to show you the property and I don't have any friends in the area to send the keys. I have found a way for us to complete the deal fast (2 days) and easy. The solution is www.Escrow.com, with them you will be able to check the property before I receive the payment. Let me know how this sounds to you

I´d be grateful for any advice. I think it is quite probably a scam, but they seem to be using a legit company and that made me doubt a little bit. I can say that in the area the prices for a place like that would be near three times what they are asking
Thank you!
nekku
NewBorn

Re: Probable fraud

Postby lightfair » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:53 pm

nekku wrote:I think it is quite probably a scam, but they seem to be using a legit company and that made me doubt a little bit.

Indeed it's a scam and indeed escrow.com is legit. You can bet that the actual "transcation" would not actually involve escrow.com; instead you'd get a mail from someone claiming to work for escrow.com (or a fake web site would be created).

Searching for typical phrases shows that this very mail has been used before (with varying locations of course). For example, searching for

"I lived there with my pet until last month when I received a contract "

(including the quotes) shows at least two more examples.

Please post the alleged name and email address of the person you're in contact with.
lightfair
Master

Return to Escrow Fraud