Hong Kong apartment

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Hong Kong apartment

Postby MSD » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 pm

They have reached Hong Kong also! Thanks to you guys and this website, I noticed this is fraud before sending the money.

But I can't find their post anymore, maybe they deleted it. Originally their ad was posted here.
http://hongkong.gumtree.com.hk/c-Flat-H ... Z296657396

The ad was like this.
"The Zenith Block 1,3 Wan Chai Road, Wan Chai"
Rent: 6000HKD/month for 3 bed rooms (which is WAY too cheap for this apartment.... probably around 1/4 - 1/5 of the market price, so in my first email to them, I even asked them if the price is per room instead of the whole apartment.....Yes this was too good to be true, no one will rent this place so cheap if they are "normal".)

------------------------------------------------------
Email address: quae21@hotmail.com
Name: LEE PICK LIN LINDA - and this "Linda"'s husband is "John".

1. "John" replied from "Linda"'s email - July 11, 2011

Hello ,

My name is John , Linda husband and I received your email of interest for the rental of our apartment located at Flat B, Floor 20, The Zenith Block 1, 3 Wan Chai Road, Wan Chai.
I am a research engineer for a pharmaceutical company and I bought the apartment while working on a 4 year contract in Hong Kong as an alternative to renting . I am the only owner of the apartment , the apartment is paid in full and with no legal problems . The apartment is not inhabited since I am no longer living in Hong Kong.You could be my second tenants .
My intention is to rent the apartment to nice , clean people and in order to do that I would like to know a little something about you , like how many persons do you intend to live in my apartment,do you have a steady income ,etc . I must tell you from the beginning that I don't have a problem if you are a student and I don't have a problem with pets (I own a little dog myself) and I appreciate sincerity .
Also here is a little something about the apartment and myself so we can get to know each other.
The apartment is the one in the pictures but the furniture has been moved into my private storage room . If you don't have furniture I can take it back with no extra costs for you .
The rent for 1 month is 6,000 HKD (for the entire apartment) including all utilities (water, electricity, Internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, private washing machine). You can rent the flat for any period of time (open end contract).
About myself, I am 44 years old and as I told you I am a research engineer for pharmaceutical products , currently living in London , United Kingdom .
You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m already in London but i think i will find a solution.

Thank you for your interest and looking forward to a future collaboration and friendship.

Best regards

---------------------
2. from "them" - July 13, 2011

Thank you very much for your reply and for your willingness to rent the apartment . I agree to rent the apartment to you if you are still interested , of course . I promise you that you will love the place .
Of course you will have to see the apartment before discussing any other details because you can't rent an apartment that you haven't seen . Since I removed the furniture from the apartment I am willing to send you the keys so you can visit it and see if you like it or not .
The delivery for the keys (apartment keys , inter-phone , alarm) and viewing permit (signed by me) , will be made through an authorized courier and using a Moneybookers Escrow Account to make sure that we can trust each other .
I will explain the procedure if you are interested so please email me as soon as you read this message because I really need to take care of this matter.

------------------------

3. from "them" - July 13, 2011

Hi again,
First of all i have choose Money Bookers ( http://www.moneybookers.com ) because it is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority of the United Kingdom (FSA) and is a company with 18 million members .
The viewing procedure using the Moneybookers escrow blocked account involves 3 parties : me as the home owner , you as the prospective tenant and Moneybookers as a licensed third party responsible for good development of the transaction .
The Moneybookers Escrow Blocked account is like the blocked account where you pay the damage deposit when you rent an apartment except that instead of a bank we will use Moneybookers .Of course , nobody can touch this money until you return the keys .
The value of the deposit is equal to the first month of rent and must be paid for the activation of the Blocked Account .
The delivery for the package will be made using an authorized courier like Pegasus , DHL , Federal Express , UPS and the package will be sent by Moneybookers to your home address .
In order to initiate the procedure I will need the following information from you :
-Shipping address (address where you want the package to be delivered) and the name of the receiver
-Arrival Schedule ( when you or someone from familly,friend, will be home to receive the package and sign for the receipt)
-Telephone number in case of any emergencies .
You have 14 days to inspect the apartment since the arrival date .
If you want to keep the apartment I will set up the rent contract , I will sign it and I will send it to you .
You have to sign it and send it back to me .
-If you do not keep the apartment, you give the keys/contract back to moneybookers and you collect the security deposit .
This will be in writing in the moneybookers contract I will sign.
The MoneyBookers fees will be paid by me when i will initiate the procedure, you will have to pay for the money transfer fees when you will have to pay the moneybookers agent.
I will wait your soon reply and if you agree, i will need your full name, shipping address and your daytime phone number and i will initiate the moneybookers transaction.

Thanks again for your time and look forward to hear from you soon.

------------------------------

So now "they" are waiting for my reply. I'm thinking to just ignore them and see what they will say. I'll post more if I receive any replies from them.
MSD
NewBorn

Re: Hong Kong apartment

Postby peg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:19 pm

I am certainly glad that we were able to save you from being scammed.

The apartment scam seems to be one of the newer ones. (well only a year or so old). In either case these criminals are doing whatever they can to get you to send them money. Typically they use a relatively untraceable means such as Western Union or Moneybookers (or similar).

Once again, I am glad you didn't get caught in the scam. I don't know what you can do as far as reporting it since you didn't actually get scammed, but you can try and report it to your local authorities and see if that gets any results.

As far as communicating with them, I would just advise caution and DON'T give them any (more) of your personal Details.
- peg -

-- eschew obfuscation!! --
If we were able to help you please consider making a donation to support this site.
Donation button at the top of page.
peg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Escrow Fraud