Rental Scams

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Rental Scams

Postby pachapapa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:06 pm

Renters beware!
I'm in the process of moving to Spain, and during my search for affordable apartments, came accross a number of rental scams.
Never, never, send any money via Western Union or Moneygram or any other type of service where you send money to a person you have not met personally.
All of these rental scams involves you sending money to a third countrie, like UK, Nigeria, etc.
I'm posting actual e mails I've received from scammers:
Thanks for the information i'll send you the lease contract agreement as soon as possible..I will like you to get back to me as soon as you receive the contract

--- El jue, 2/7/09, jguzman18@aol.com <jguzman18@aol.com> escribió:

De: jguzman18@aol.com <jguzman18@aol.com>
Asunto: Re: Reserva
Para: leraltam@yahoo.es
Fecha: jueves, 2 julio, 2009 6:55

George R Guzman
Arriving July 14th
Departing July 2010

-----Original Message-----
To: jguzman18@aol.com
Sent: Thu, Jul 2, 2009 11:42 am
Subject: Re: Reserva

I need your full name ,Arrival date and departure date..Get back to me asap

--- El jue, 2/7/09, jguzman18@aol.com <jguzman18@aol.com> escribió:

Fecha: jueves, 2 julio, 2009 5:09

Please send me the rental agreement, together with a copy of a valid goverment issued identification

Sent: Thu, Jul 2, 2009 2:43 am
Subject: Re: Reserva

However If you really have interest in renting the room just let me have your FULL
NAME,YOUR EXACT ARRIVAL DATE,YOUR DEPARTURE DATE,YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS ,So that i can quickly instruct our family lawyer to prepare the tenant agreement form for you, to see the terms and condition of the contract....I will send it with your information...

--- El mié, 1/7/09, jguzman18@aol.com <jguzman18@aol.com> escribió:

Fecha: miércoles, 1 julio, 2009 5:45

I would like to rent your apartment. Please send me all the necessary documents for me to sign, and all the details to make payment: Name of Payee, telephone number, address and a copy of a valid identification document, either passport, drivers license or other valid goverment issued document with a picture

Sent: Wed, Jul 1, 2009 10:30 am
Subject: Reserva

Thanks for the reply and also for the introduction of your self,you really sound great...Never mind i can reserve the room for you till your arrival date since there is a perfect procedure that we both have to undergo before you can proceed with the payment.

However If you really have interest in renting the room just let me have your FULL
NAME,YOUR EXACT ARRIVAL DATE,YOUR DEPARTURE DATE,YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS ,So that i can quickly instruct our family lawyer to prepare the tenant agreement form for you, to see the terms and condition of the contract and if you are okay with the terms and condition then you can proceed with the first month rent and the security deposit to my mother in London Via western union money transfer so that the room can be reserve for you till your arrival date because there are lot of people that also have interest in renting the room,but m y mother prefer the most serious person who pay her first..

The signed agreement form will be send to you first through attached mail(with the scanned page of my international passpo rt).for you to read and understand,after which you will proceed with the payment ,i'll now send you the original copy through a registered courier to your address for you to sign and bring along with you when moving in. Have a nice day,Looking forward in hearing from you.
Regards.
Leralta.

Asunto: Re: About the room and pictures
Fecha: miércoles, 1 julio, 2009 5:20

Graicas por la respuesta, me interesa mucho el apartamento, y quiero alquilarlo, estare en barcelona el 14 de julio.
Como hago para completar el contrato?

Sent: Wed, Jul 1, 2009 9:18 am
Subject: About the room and pictures

Thanks for having interest in my flat ........ I'm Leralta ,the apartment belongs to my late Father and my Mother have been managing and maintaining the apartment, but she is presently in London due to her work.I work in a calling center and also as a Nanny(Baby Sitter).

The exact address is : C/ La Rambla 132, 08002 Barcelona, Spain .

Beautifu l and very comfortable 2 bedroom apartment is located in a quiet street just 30 meters from the upper part of the "Las Ramlas".Wonderfully located in the very centre of the city, the apartment is in a very quiet, on the third floor in a historical building located in a street near by the famous "Las Ramlas" avenue and 3 minutes walk to Plaza Catalonia.

Although located in the very centre of the city this apartment is completely quiet and tranquil, as it is facing a pedestrian street located between the Ramblas and Petrixol Street.

The is lease is 350euros/Month/Room including the utilities,fridge-freezer, oven, washing machine, dryer, gas cooker,micro -wave, dishwasher,electricity bill, internet charges and others.and 500euros for the security deposit which is refundable during the departure time from the room.

I will like to know where you are from and when you will be coming to the flat ?Am confidently assuring you that you will be more than satisfied when you come into the flat while you will have your private bathroom.You can see the attached pictures20of the room bellow......

Let me hear from you asap if you really have interest in renting the room,

Best Regard
Leralta

Asunto: Re: Available Furnished Bedroom In Barcelona
Fecha: miércoles, 1 julio, 2009 4:04

Please send me more details and pictures.
What's the rent price?

To: sultanofsediment@yahoo.com
Sent: Wed, Jul 1, 2009 7:59 am
Subject: Available Furnished Bedroom In Barcelona

I have a lovely apartment located in the city center of Barcelona.The apartment building is surrounded by a host of supermarket and restaur ants,lots of them in walking distance.

Beautiful and very comfortable 2 bedroom apartment is located in a quiet street just 30 meters from the upper part of the "Las Ramlas".Wonder fully located in the very centre of the city, the apartment is in a very quiet, on the third floor in a historical building located in a street near by the famous "Las Ramlas" avenue and 3 minutes walk to Plaza Catalonia.

Kindly get back to me on my email if you are interested in renting the apartment so that i can send you the details and pictures of the apartment...My email address is leraltam@yahoo.es

Regards
Leralta

Another sample
Hello,
I saw your advert on Craigslist that you needed an apartment for renting,so I will like you to answer these questions cos I have an apartment to rent, and I have to tell you that the price is negotiable.

Answer these questions if you are willing to occupy the apartment

1.How many BR(Bedroom(S)do you want?
2.Do you have pets?
3.How many of you are coming to stay in the room?
4.How many Months or Years are you staying for?
5.Which area do you want to move to?e.g.city,state.etc.
6.Price Per Month?
7.Do you smoke?
8.If you have any other question don't hesitate to ask me.
9.When do you want to move in?
10.When do you want to move out?

I await your response soonest,because I am doing this on first come first serve basis.

Rose.

another sample
Its a pleasure reading about you and your needs and am glad to hear
from you too.I am looking for a serious and neat tenant. the flat ism
fully furnished with home utilities
like;electric shower,microwave,dryer,iron,bedsheets,,gas
cooker,refrigerators,dishwasher,heater,cable
ready,tv set and dvd player,easy access to internet,equiped kitchen
and soon.It is located on Principal, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain, the
rent is euro 600 monthly including the utility bills and the security
deposit is euro 550 and it is refundable if there are no damages in
the flat either on property or utilities for i want my properties
secured.
I await to hear from you asap if you are a loyal and serious person
who is interested in taking care of my property and equipment and you
are satisfied with the details given to you.

Cheers
Peter.......
pachapapa
NewBorn

Return to Escrow Fraud