Fraud with US-Car???

Have you been frauded at at an Online Escrow Site? Put your story, questions and comments here!
Click Here to return to escrow-fraud page

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Fraud with US-Car???

Postby schnarros » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 am

I want to buy a car (BMW i8) which is currently offered at http://www.mobile.de. The price of 65,000 Euro is suspiciously low in relation to comparable offers (starting from 87,000 Euro). When I contacted the company (located in Praha, CZ) I received the following reply:

Hello ,
My name is Sergiu Cobineanu and I am writing you regarding your inquiry about the 2014 BMW i8 Pure Impulse World.
This car is virtually brand new, with low miles, no damage and no mechanical problems. This exquisite motor car has been pampered by its previous owner, the interior looks like new, with no evidence of a smoker is fully functional and smells great,it is in top of the line condition and ready to roll.
There is no existing or previous damage to any of the engine,transmission, paint or bodywork,and has a clean history. We took great care to ensure that the car is in perfect condition, inside and outside before putting it up for sale.
Currently this car is located in the United States and will be shipped to us in Europe after someone orders it. We will make all necessary modifications to the car lights, odometer, software and we will obtain an European COC certificate of conformity once that happens. Our office takes care of the import and registration formalities so that when you purchase it, it will be registered as an European car. You will not have to make any modifications to the car, it will be ready for registering in your country when you receive it.

The price for the aforementioned paperwork is included in the listed price. For our European customers we also offer free shipping for a limited period currently until 1st of July 2017.
In case you decide to buy the vehicle the total payment amount, including everything mentioned above and VAT, would be 65,000 EUR.
As a dealer and auto broker, Import-Export-Auto s.r.o. has over 8 years of experience selling luxury vehicles across the world and we can assist with shipping procedures.
You can find attached the car photos and details.

Thank you,

Sergiu Cobineanu - Managing Director
Import-Export-Auto s.r.o.
VAT Number # CZ 28929969
+420234261932
+420773131254

I asked for the payment conditions and received another email:

Hello Mr. Mueller (I changed my name for some privacy...),

The car has 13400 miles on board and after conversion 21.565 km .
For international sales we use an escrow process that allows our clients to test the vehicles before finalizing a purchase. If you're not familiar with escrow, here's how it works:
We will ship the car directly to your address and only transit it through our area for a few days to make the required modifications and obtain the European CoC. Your total delivery time 14-21 days includes this detour as well as the additional days of transit. The navigating system, board controls, air conditioning and radio and multimedia software will all be changed with their corresponding original European versions. The rest of the modifications include changing the plate support and the rear bumper with their corresponding European versions and changing the Odometer from Miles to Km (the original value will be maintained). All the modifications will be done at one of the official dealerships we have in our area once we receive the car.

The propose price € 65.000 is final, includes all the import taxes from outside of EU, with no other charges, or hidden costs ( VAT Included ). The price includes delivery to your address with enclosed carrier. Import-Export-Auto s.r.o. will assist you with your transportation needs.

When you receive the car it will be registered as an European car bought from our Dealership. The Certificate of Conformity will arrive with the car, as well as all the required registration papers, service history and title of the vehicle.

As we are a serious company,for the best security we transact the import of your new dream vehicle in association with a notarial contract and a trust service which guarantees a secured payment,holding the funds until the vehicle is delivered,inspected and accepted at the final destination.
An escrow service authenticates that money is exchanged in return for a vehicle and that neither party walks away empty handed.
The 50% down payment would be required to be transferred into an Escrow Account prior shipping and the balance within 5 days after the car is delivered, inspected and accepted on the final destination.
Our Guarantee : Upon authorized professional inspection of the purchased car, you find discrepancy between the published report and the actual car, we will either correct the problem at no charge or refund all monies paid.
The return must take place within 10 days from receipt and the vehicle must have fewer than 100 km difference upon return.
The return policy will be mentioned in the contract.
If you decide to buy the car, please send us your full name and address (or company name in case you want to purchase it through your company) and I will forward them to our legal department to set up an escrow account and start the transaction.

Thank you,
Sergiu Cobineanu - Managing Director
Import-Export-Auto s.r.o.
VAT Number # CZ 28929969
+420234261932
+420773131254

This all sounds too good to be true. So I offered to set up an escrow account by a solicitor of MY choice as I am definitely not transferring money to a person or company I do not know for a car I have never seen...

I also sent an email to BMW Winslow in Colorado Springs/USA, where the car has been sold in 2015. They should know the owner and maybe they could ask him, if the car is really for sale.

What do you think of this? The dealer also offers other luxury cars, but there is no website and his email addresses are importexportautosro@protonmail.com and autoimportexportsro@gmail.com

Maybe I am wrong, but this is highly suspicious to me. I will wait for his reply now. But I do not exspect him to agree with transferring the money to MY notary trust account...

UPDATE: The dealer site "Import-Export-Auto s.r.o." on http://www.mobile.de is not available anymore. All his "offers" have been removed from mobile.de as well. This usually happens when somebody complains about the dealer or his offers - if it does not have been removed by himself...

Therefore I am 100% sure now that it was a fake offer/fake shop.
schnarros
NewBorn

Re: Fraud with US-Car???

Postby lightfair » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:47 am

It's pretty much a textbook example for this type of scam.

Thanks for sharing.
lightfair
Master

Postby schnarros » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:53 am

Some further information:

The dealer has sent the sales contract (just stamped, no date or signature) which names a ESCROW ACCOUNTING CORPORATION for doing the escrow process.

I could not find any corporation under this name. I also found out that IMPORT-EXPORT-AUTO s.r.o. is registered on under the following address
Biskupský dvůr 2095/8 PRAHA 1 - NOVÉ MĚSTO 110 00 PRAHA 1
since 2009.
This is a building with single office units to rent. The home address of the general manager is in Verona/Italy. Wow, a pretty long way for a daily job... :lol:

The sales contract says: Šaldova 278/36, 186 00 Praha 8-Karlín
I could not find any company registered there. Google shows a car park...

I replied his email asking for some explanations and telling him that I will accept a transfer ONLY over escrow.com or a lawyer of MY choice.

Let's wait for his answer. I am starting to have fun with it. 8)
schnarros
NewBorn

Postby schnarros » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Final Act:
Meanwhile I contacted mobile.de. They were not allowed to tell my details about the dealer and why they have removed him, but they told me that it was "the right decision not to trust him".

And I finally discovered the website where the pictures of the car and its description have been stolen from:
http://www.exoticcarsofhouston.com/Details/G391357/2015-bmw-i8-pure-impulse-world

The ESCROW ACCOUNTING CORPORATION does really exist since 1990(!) and is located in 6700 FAIR OAKS BLVD
CARMICHAEL CA 95608 (USA). They are licensed (No. C1673714) and active in "DOMESIC STOCK" but not in "ONLINE ESCROW". No Email, no website. At least I found a cell phone no. on Google which is registered to Mrs. Susan Hanns. (I expected the Company Manager, Mr. Paul D Carillo or the company itself)

That all does not mean to much and the company might be trustworthy. But obviously the dealer uses their identity. Especially as they do not have any Email or a website. (He simply could create some to make you think communicating with them.)

Hope this story can be helpful for someone.
schnarros
NewBorn

Return to Escrow Fraud