STAY AWAY FROM THIS FAKE PROPERTY

Basic General Forum. Topics may be many and varied

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

STAY AWAY FROM THIS FAKE PROPERTY

Postby elisenyborg » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Hello.

I feel so stupid, was close to be fooled by this cheap apartment deal in Copenhagen. Desperate student, and didn't think that someone would scam me.
But fortunately I understood that is was a scam, before sending any money. Want to warn everybody: DON'T agree to rent properties if you can't meet the owner. This means SCAM!

If you get an email like this (stay AWAY!!) :

Hello,

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in 1850 Kopenhagen Fredericksberg Gammel Kongevej 151.
I bought this apartment for me in 2005 with the idea that i will get married but was an unpleasant surprise when i was dumped 2 weeks before ceremony. One year before, in 2009 i met a nice person and i realize that she is my chosen one and we are very happy together. This is the main reason for renting the apartment : we decided to move to Italy and build our new life here and i am renting the apartment for an indeterminate period of time. We would not be living in Danemark anymore so you can stay in the apartment for as long as you would like.
Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.
The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 2 parking spots in garage, air conditioning, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of 4000 DKK/month. The kaution is also DKK 4000, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment.
You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Mogens Johansen and I'm a 58 years old graphic designer planning to retire in the next 2 years. I have a lovely wife, Christine and a 25 year old daughter, Linda from my first marriage. Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.
You can move in the apt in the same day when you receive the keys. Thank you for your interest and I will look forward to hearing from you soon.
I will start the transaction so please send me your name and address and after that you will receive an invoice with the details you need for payment confirmation.

Mogens Johansen
P.S. Please tell me if this is what are you looking for and reply my only if you are truly interested in the apt.

Thank you for your reply but the matter is that I'm in Milano already. Like I have inform you before, the price you shall pay for one month of rent will be 4000 DKK + 4000 security deposit - caution (8000 DKK ), with no extra taxes to pay.I must have one month rent + security deposit from you.You will pay 8000 DKK just for this time and every month you pay just 4000 DKK. The money, I want to recive it monthly to my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money to my bank account. The apartment is ready for you, you will need only to receive the keys and the contract to check it, and see if you like it. Obviously we need a way to complete this deal, that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after. In order of that I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a company called MoneyBookers which is similar to FedEx or UPS, which will handle both payment and delivery of the Keys. I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the rent of the apt only after you will receive the keys of it and through this way you will see it and decide if you will stay in the apt or not before I receive my payment. Please click on the link bellow to the MoneyBookers website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company where the procedure is explained: https://www.moneybookers.com/app/help.pl?s=escrow&l=EN
Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter.Let me know if you are interested please because I really need to take care of this matter.

- The email you will receive will probably look like a google translate text.
- You will probably get photos of an amazing flat, what he didn't know is that I know the place where this apartment was suppose to be. Took a closer look at the pictures, and there was something wrong. The scammer probably use the same kind of pictures every time.
- the scammer asked me to register at Moneybookes ( it is a safe site). Then he said that I would receive a mail from then.I did register at the site, and they sent me an email. then I got an other mail, and something just looked wrong. The mail you will get, has a link and ask you to do the payment trough it. Then you send the money to the scammer instead. is totally fake. (but looks really real to me, the first time i opened it..)

From "moneybookers":

Dear Elise Nyborg
We require the payment to be made through WesternUnion money transfer service.

If you are not familiarized with the WesternUnion money transfer services please visit: http://www.westernunion.com
You can pay with cash at any WesternUnion Office.

Use it with Boligportal, Lejebolig, Dba, Boliger, and more

Payment must be sent to the MoneyBookers Agent below

Available online

MoneyBookers Agent Details
First name: Paul
Last name: Whitaker
Address: 64 Shudehill
City/State: Manchester
PostalCode: M4 4AA

Important notice

The payment details are confidential and will not be released under any circumstances.Our customer chose this payment method in order to speed up the transaction. MoneyBookers security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given evolving circumstances globally, drawing on both internal assessments and the support of government agencies.Our constant priority is for the safety of our people, our customers, and the general public.
MoneyBookers always tries to fulfill its customers' needs.

Sender Information
First name: Mogens
Last name: Johansen
Address: Via Vela Vincenzo, 1
City: Milano
Zip Code: 20133

Delivery Information
First name: Elise
Last name: Nyborg
Address: Nikolaj plads 24, 3
City/State: København k
Post Code: 1067

Apartment keys and rental contract verified and signed by the Sender. Owner of the apartment in:
1850 Kopenhagen Fredericksberg Gammel Kongevej 151. All the papers are double checked.

-Transaction Registered No 3159757833
- Insured Value Amount (1 month deposit+safety deposit) DKK 4000.00 + DKK 4000.00 = DKK 8000.00
- If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize us to release the funds to the sender, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service with no costs and inform us to return the funds to you.

Payment Information Western Union®

IT'S EASY Visit any one of WesternUnion's nearly 45,000 Agent locations and fill out the appropriateWesternUnion form to send your payment in cash. Your payment is typically sent within minutes…usually faster than paying with money orders or COD.

IT'S CONVENIENT There are nearly 45,000 Western Union Agent locations nationwide. Many are open 24
hours a day, 7 days a week.

HOW TO MAKE PAYMENT
* Locate the nearest WesternUnion Office
* Make the payment with cash using the previous mentioned Details MoneyBookers Agent Details

* Contact us with
-Scanned WesternUnion receipt, 10 digit reference number
-Exact sender's name on file with WesternUnion
-Your street address on file with WesternUnion
-City and country where you sent the money from
-Amount sent

How to make payment?

The seller delivers the package to MoneyBookers agents for full evaluation of content. The package will remain in the company custody until the receiver will send the payment through a Money Order Service (WesternUnion Service). If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize us to release the funds to the sender, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will be able to send the keys and contract back through the same service with no costs and inform us to return the funds to you.

Sincerly,
MoneyBookers Financial Department
Copyright © Moneybookers Ltd.

[/b]

ABOUT MONEYBOOKERS:
the site is real and safe. But this mail is NOT from them.
- they do NOT have any cooperation with western union, or with the danish sites like Lejebolig.dk.
- there is never a third person ivolved.

The scammer:

First name: Mogens
Last name: Johansen
Address: Via Vela Vincenzo, 1
City: Milano
Zip Code: 20133

Hope you all never will do this mistake!
best regards, elise
elisenyborg
NewBorn

Re: STAY AWAY FROM THIS FAKE PROPERTY

Postby peg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:47 pm

elisenyborg wrote:I feel so stupid, was close to be fooled by this cheap apartment deal in Copenhagen. Desperate student, and didn't think that someone would scam me.
But fortunately I understood that is was a scam, before sending any money. Want to warn everybody: DON'T agree to rent properties if you can't meet the owner. This means SCAM!

Don't feel stupid... It sounds like you are actually smart by avoiding it....

Better than me! I was fooled by an Escrow Scam many years ago (WS-TRADE.COM) and that is why I started this site. I hope it has helped you as well. I know it has helped many others too. Sadly, however, the scams still continue, and for everyone that's been helped by our site (or similar sites), there are hundreds that get caught.

Thanks for making us aware of this scam. I hope that it will help save someone else.
- peg -

-- eschew obfuscation!! --
If we were able to help you please consider making a donation to support this site.
Donation button at the top of page.
peg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby trip » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:54 am

When I was in Spain I ran into something similar. I was very wary when I also noticed it looked like they used google translate instead of translating the message themselves. I asked spanish friend and she told me it was a common scam toward foreigners.
trip
NewBorn

Postby silkevaneckett » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi,

just to say I just avoided the same fraud just today
Here is the message:

Hello,
First of all I am sorry to answer late but I had a lot of work and it is time to send a message. The apartment has one bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchen and a living room.
Looking for someone to live in it, as soon as possible because my company won the tender for a project, construction for a building that will rise in the United Kingdom, Liverpool. I am a civil engineer, so my accommodation period in UK will be around at least 5 years. The rental period is unlimited.
The apartment is furnished, but if you want to bring your own furniture is not a problem (no extra charge). The rent for one month is 325 Euro, but you must deposit 650euro/2months (for the whole apartment) including all utilities (, water electricity, internet, cable, parking, air conditioning, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage disposal , microwave, refrigerator). You can move to fit on the same day, when the first key. The only problem is I'm the only person who has the keys and are already in the UK, but hopefully we will find a solution.
Thank you for your interest and I would look forward to hearing from you soon.
Cheers,
Laura Maganhart
P.S. Please tell me if this is what you are looking for the answer only if you are really interested in the apartment.

---

Reading a bit on the forum, I realised he/she/they always use the same sentendes, more or less, so it is quite easy to get it when it's a fake ad
silkevaneckett
NewBorn

Postby gladys65 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:15 pm

I also was in the similar situation once, and you shoul not feel stupid, as it may happen to anyone
gladys65
NewBorn

Return to General