Predatory TAXI CAB JOB contract

Basic General Forum. Topics may be many and varied

Moderators: georg, suziecue, JaxHot

Predatory TAXI CAB JOB contract

Postby reggieglad » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Hello,

I hope someone could help my family here. My dad recently got into a contract with a TAXI cab company here in the Illinois Chicago west suburbs. My dad has to pay $78 everyday as part of the contract. To those who don't know cab drivers get there assignment through a dispatcher. While he was in training he had the impression that the dispatches were very frequent and thus this contract job is profitable. But he is finding out that the contract is very unprofitable for the taxi cab drivers like him. You see when he was training the dispatcher was calling the training cab very frequently, but in reality the dispatches (jobs) are few. The reason for this is the taxi cab company keeps on hiring contractors thus they are making money from the daily $78 fee while my dad and his fellow cab drivers are left to fend off against a very tight taxi cab market. Some people are making barely break even while doing 12 hour days. So far he is loosing a lot of money and time idled. He tried to quit but the company is saying he cannot because the contract is legally binding. Is there something we can do?

Help!
Reggie Glad.
reggieglad
NewBorn

Re: Predatory TAXI CAB JOB contract

Postby peg » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:48 pm

While this really isn't the forum intended for this subject, I will be happy to give you my advice.

First, check the contract to see if there is a requirement on the companies part that they are not fulfilling. If there is... Then the contract is broken and I would use that as an out.

If you have to I would (perhaps along with the other cab drivers) contact a lawyer and see what your options are.

Lastly and probably most dramatic, you can file bankruptcy and that would nullify the contract as well (unless it's "Secured" with property, you would be free and clear). Obviously there are other implications to filing a bankruptcy and for that too you should consult a lawyer. I think the key thing you need to do is look at the contract very carefully to see if it provides you with "Options"
- peg -

-- eschew obfuscation!! --
If we were able to help you please consider making a donation to support this site.
Donation button at the top of page.
peg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General